Skip to main content Skip to main navigation Skip to footer content

The Jordan College of Agricultural Sciences and Technology

Taylor Jones leads a campus farm tour

Agricultural Business Student Spotlight: Taylor Jones

Agricultural business senior Taylor Jones has a unique perspective on how Jordan College students are connecting with the heart of the nation's leading agricultural industry and its consumers.

The Bakersfield native has worked directly with the industry's next generation as a campus ag ambassador. She has shared the production methods of many of our 18, student-run campus farm units on youth tours and also helped FFA students develop leadership skills at its state conference.

At the Gibson Farm Market, she has added hands-on experience selling and marketing fresh, student-made products as a lead student assistant. Her ag business classes have been well utilized by managing its social media accounts and expanding its base of loyal, Central Valley customers.

She has also learned about and applied the food processing industry's high food safety standards as an intern for potato processor Tasteful Selections in the quality control area at its Arvin facility.

Learn more about her passion for sharing ag knowledge with others in this recent interview.

Q: How did you pick Fresno State and your major?

“I chose Fresno State because after doing a lot of research, I learned that its ag program is really well developed, has an on-campus farm and lots of hands-on learning, and was close to home.” 

Q: Which classes & faculty members have had the biggest influence on you while at Fresno State?

“Dr. Sharon Freeman has had the biggest influence on me. She always pushed me to do my best and strive to be better at things where I needed improvement.” 

Taylor Jones sells products to a customer at the Gibson Farm Market Taylor Jones sells products to a customer at the Gibson Farm Market Q: Talk about any campus farm units you have worked at.

“I started working at the Gibson Farm Market in February this year. My main responsibilities have been planning special events at the market, social media, and helping coordinate donation baskets as a student lead, as well as ensuring that the store runs smoothly.” 

Q: What was your background in agriculture before you started at Fresno State?

“I have raised and shown livestock for many years. I have family who are involved in livestock production so I have helped with breeding and delivering livestock for several years as well.”

Q: Describe any internships you've done while at Fresno State.

“I have done an internship with Tasteful Selections in Arvin, CA in the food safety department. I was in charge of daily recaps of food safety issues that happened around the facility. I also investigated food safety emergencies when they arose within the facility.” 

Q: What organizations at Fresno State have you been a part of?

“I have done many presentations with our Ag Ambassadors, and I also went to the FFA state conference in March and did a leadership presentation for its members.” 

Q: What’s your potential next career step?

“I would like to do several internships to see exactly what profession most interests me. I really enjoyed my food safety internship, however I know that there are tons of opportunities within the industry, and I would like to see what I truly enjoy doing before I decide what I would like to do as a permanent career.” 

Q: Are there any other interesting notes about yourself that you would like to include?

“A fun fact about me is that I actually own an online boutique and once I graduate I would like to take it a lot more seriously, and start the process to open a store front.” 

Ag Ambassadors and Dean hand out free ice cream at the World Ag Expo Fresno State info booth.