Skip to main content Skip to main navigation Skip to footer content

The Jordan College of Agricultural Sciences and Technology

Message From the Dean

Jordan College Winter 2020 Newsletter

Dean Dennis Nef

The new year is off to a quick start and with 2020 in the title, we hope the articles featured in this newsletter help you see clearly what is happening in the Jordan College. Check out stories of preparation, inspiration, innovation, and commitment among others.

As my first semester back in the college, fall 2019 was notable for several reasons. I met a lot of people on campus and in the community and the reception was wonderful. Thank you.

I spoke about reducing the number of students who fail to finish, of improving our effectiveness and no longer doing what we have always done; and broadening the impact of the Jordan College on the community, region, and nation. I think we have made progress on each.

As we focus on improving the graduation rate of our students, it is important to begin by keeping them for the second semester. Faculty, staff, and students worked hard both inside and outside the classroom in the fall leading to an above average percentage of new students continuing into the spring term.

We launched efforts to improve the sustainability of the University Agricultural Laboratory (UAL) using a grant from the University Foundation to plant 36 acres of almonds.

This is the first of four plantings in a long term plan that will provide us with additional resources to invest in and strengthen the UAL. We will still have some difficult times in the short run but as these plantings bear fruit, the Jordan College will be in a strong position to educate the rising generation and positively impact the food and agricultural sector. The UAL is one of our jewels as highlighted by student research described elsewhere in this newsletter.

Our relationships with the community, region, nation, and the world were both broadened and deepened. The community came out in force to recognize Fowler Packing and the Parnagian family-raising over a million dollars that will be used to create an endowment for the University Agricultural Laboratory (see the full story elsewhere in this newsletter). Thanks to the Parnagian’s and everyone involved. It was a night to remember.

The university signed an agreement with Punjab Agricultural University in Ludhiana that will provide for student and faculty exchanges and sharing of research findings. I spent 10 days in India last December with our provost and the dean of Continuing and Global Education and several members of the Fresno community-led by Gary Chahil. We met with administrators and faculty at the University as well as the governor of the state, a number of his cabinet ministers, and some of the food and agricultural business leaders in the area. The University Vice Chancellor will visit us this spring. These exchanges will strengthen both institutions and contribute to our communities.

Finally, I want to thank you for supporting our students at the Ag Fest Men's Basketball Game that was on Saturday, February 15. The game featured our Jordan College students, faculty and staff in many promotions to help illustrate how they positively impact our campus and community.

Dennis Nef,

Dean, Jordan College of Agricultural Sciences and Technology

(back to newsletter)