Skip to main content Skip to main navigation Skip to footer content

The Jordan College of Agricultural Sciences and Technology

Picture
Cameron Ivy
Cameron Ivy
Cameron Ivy

Agricultural Education Student Spotlight: Cameron Ivy

Q: Why did you choose to attend Fresno State, and how did you pick your major?

Ivy: "After gaining a love for the agriculture industry from involvement in my high school’s FFA organization, I knew that I wanted to pursue some kind of career in the industry later on. After working closely for several years with my high school agriculture teachers, I found that I would like to pursue a degree in agricultural education in order to help students gain the same great experiences and passions that my teachers helped me to find. Deciding to go to Fresno State was an easy choice for me, as I’ve always been told that the Jordan College is an incredible program, and on top of this, the university is only an hour away from my hometown."

Q: What do you consider your hometown?

Ivy: "My hometown is Merced, CA. I have lived in Merced for my entire life up until this point, and absolutely love the atmosphere of the town thanks to both its strong agricultural roots, and it’s powerful community support."

Q: Did you have any other family members graduate or attend Fresno State?

Ivy: "I have no family members who have attended or graduated from Fresno State, which will make me the first Bulldog in the family!"

Q: What is your background in agriculture?

Ivy: "Despite not being born and raised in an agricultural background, I’ve tried to make the most of any and every agricultural experience that I could become involved in. I’ve tried my hardest to embrace my opportunities by maintaining extensive involvement in my high school FFA chapter, where I participated in activities such as raising livestock for local fairs and competing in career development activities. I’ve also gained experiences by working in many different aspects of the agriculture industry, such as in almond and walnut operations, sheep farms, and currently working at a cattle ranch." 

Q: Talk about any areas of FFA and/or 4-H involvement?

Ivy: "I started off my agricultural journey when I became a member of Lancers 4-H in around 4th grade. During my time in 4-H, I showed swine at our local fair and engaged in numerous leadership roles, serving as both our club’s President, as well as becoming a Merced County 4-H Ambassador. Coming into high school, I became an active member of Golden Valley FFA, where I served as our chapter President, and was involved in numerous competitions circulating both around public speaking, as well as career development (such as Agricultural Sales, Farm Power and Machinery, and Marketing Plan)."

Q: Were you a part of any other notable high school clubs/organizations & involved in any noteworthy activities or competitions?

Ivy: "Within my time in high school, I also participated in clubs such as the California Scholastic Federation, as well as the Golden Valley Trapshooting Team."

Q: Have you been involved with volunteer or community outreach in high school?

Ivy: "I've spent many hours with my FFA and 4-H organizations trying to help my local community in any way possible. While most of these activities were based more towards serving food and helping with dinners that came back to benefit a good cause, we also spent plenty of time organizing gift donations to less fortunate families around the holiday season, and worked with the current mayor of Merced to clean up trash around many of the neighborhoods in our community. From these experiences, I've been very blessed to have grown in my ability to demonstrate servant leadership, but more importantly, I have been able to help give back to the community that has raised me and supported me throughout all of my life." 

Q: Are there any other interesting notes about yourself that you would like to include? 

Ivy: "Outside of school and work, I love spending my free time in the outdoors. I really enjoy fishing, hiking, and shooting sports. Something I’m looking forward to most is exploring the outdoor opportunities in the Fresno area!"