Josh Heupel
Josh Heupel
Josh Heupel
Josh Heupel
Josh Heupel
Josh Heupel
Josh Heupel

Student Spotlight: Josh Heupel

LIke a large group of Jordan College students this past week, senior Josh Heupel had an amazing trip to Indianapolis for the 94th National FFA Convention, but his experience was also very unique.

The agricultural business and plant science double major was one of four finalists from across the nation for the FFA American Star Farmer Award, which focused on agricultural production, as well as outstanding achievement, active FFA participation and an exemplary scholastic record.

Among the 700,000 entries for the award's four categories, the Le Grand native's application was unique since he submitted four projects (related to walnut production, almond production, agricultural mechanics and a business called J. Heupel's Spreading).

Two years ago the national convention, he was also honored with a national proficiency award for ag mechanics design & fabrication in the entrepreneurship & placement category.

Mechanical agriculture runs in his blood since the Golden Valley FFA Chapter member is the grandson of long-time Fresno State Plant Science Department mechanized ag faculty Ken Heupel (& was introduced at the age of four to his family’s equipment fabrication operation).

Since then with his family's guidance, he has created new equipment for his family farm & other farmers in the state (including a five-shank deep ripper to work on orchard soil).

After an internship in Washington D.C. last summer with Central Valley U.S. representative David Valadao, he is one step closer to a career working as an agricultural lobbyist.

Read more about him in this recent interview below (as well as the FFA star farmer award in this press release: https://bit.ly/FS21-josh-heupel-ffa-star-farmer-finalist ).

Q: Why were you drawn towards Fresno State and these majors?

Heupel: "I chose to attend Fresno State mostly because my family has attended this institution in the past, and I was offered the President's Scholarship through the Smittcamp Family Honors College. I would like to work within agricultural and water policy in order to help Central Valley agriculture."

Q: Give us a little more background on your family's ties to Fresno State?

Heupel: "My mom and dad both graduated from Fresno State. My dad, Scott, graduated with a degree in Agricultural Business and a minor in Plant Science. He is now a self-taught farmer with his brother, my uncle Keith, another Fresno State graduate. They founded Heupel Brothers Farms, and grow almonds and walnuts. My mom, Jackie, graduated from Fresno State with her degree in liberal studies and got her teaching credential. She has been a fifth-grade teacher for over 25 years. Additionally, my grandfather, Ken Heupel, was a professor at Fresno State since 1999, and recently retired. As you can tell, we are a die-hard Fresno State family."

Q: What other ways have you been active on campus or off?

Heupel: "Currently, I work at the Library as a Supplemental Instruction Leader for the course, Ag Business 105. I am an additional resource for students who need a bit of help reviewing the core concepts. I am a member of the Agricultural Business Club and a member of the Fresno State FFA Field Day Team that puts on FFA Field Days for students throughout the year. I also am part of Camp Kesem on the coordinator board, a student-run organization that helps kids through and beyond their parent's cancer." 

Q: Talk about any internships that have helped you on your early career path?

Heupel: "This past summer I was able to travel to Washington D.C., in order to intern for Congressman David G. Valadao and his staff. As a summer intern, I was able to work directly with the office and help to ensure that we served our constituents efficiently and effectively."

Q: Describe any research you're involved with on campus.

Heupel: "I have worked with Dr. Serhat Asci as an undergraduate research assistant in his project with the California Department of Pesticide Regulation. I am able to help assist him with data manipulation. This experience is helping to grow my skills as an agricultural business student as I work heavily with Excel and formulating tables to help express the data the California Department of Pesticide Regulation requires. Working on this project has allowed me to take what I have learned in Fresno State agricultural business classes and apply them to real-world scenarios and jobs. Dr. Asci has also allowed me to tackle so many great opportunities and learn from him throughout the past several semesters." 

Heupel: "As part of the College of Social Sciences Honors Program, I'm also working on a research project with Dr. Thomas Holyoke and Dr. Lisa Bryant regarding the history of California water rights. This project has allowed me to begin to look into why California is in such a tough drought scenario due to the actions of our past."

Heupel: "Both of these two different research projects that I am working on  is really helping me to grow my options for the future and learn more about California agriculture in the process."

Q: Have you had any other mentors on campus that have been important?

Heupel: "I have worked with so many here at Fresno State. Dr. Steve Rocca has always been a great supporter of me since I began here at Fresno State. I also cannot forget to thank everyone at the Smittcamp Family Honors College for all the time and effort they have put into helping me succeed."

Q: What are your potential next steps after you receive your undergraduate degree?

Heupel; "I would like to go to either graduate school or law school after getting my B.S. in Agricultural Business and my B.A. in Political Science. I would like to work within agricultural law and policy and would prefer to get my J.D. and P.H.D at the same time through a dual degree program."