Skip to main content Skip to main navigation Skip to footer content

The Jordan College of Agricultural Sciences and Technology

Picture
Macy Myers
Macy Myers
Macy Myers
Macy Myers

Agricultural Business Student Spotlight: Macy Myers

Growing up in the Sierra foothills and mountains, Fresno State junior Macy Myers has always been inspired by the surrounding agriculture while she worked with horses and showed livestock.

Even though classes went virtual the past year, she has stayed busy with the campus ag business marketing competition team, and interning with G3 Enterprises in its logistics, administrative and transportation areas.  

Learn more about the accomplished Agricultural Business Club officer & her many other academic, professional & personal interests in this recent interview. 

Q: Talk about your current internship, and some of your main responsibilities at G3 Enterprises.

Myers: "This is my first internship, so I am very grateful to start gaining agricultural experience with such a progressive organization. Their core values of teamwork, and value creation align with mine."

Myers: "My job is titled “Ag Seasonal Transportation Planner,” and so far it has meant that everyday is an adventure. I was trained by G3 to help with billing and working within their transportation management system. Other than these responsibilities, I have learned to help run shuttles at the O'Neill Vintners and Distillers and Gallo Fresno. I have also helped test the accuracy of G3’s new installed GPS’s on their trailers. With many tasks  from data entry to trailer organization, I am kept on my toes. Everyday I am learning how to make better logistical decisions than the one before."

Q: Did any of your co-workers or mentors in the internship have Fresno State ties?

Myers: "Yes. Lauren Dutra, a Fresno State alumna, was an account manager with G3 who spoke in Dr. Culbertson’s professional development class when it was virtual. After she spoke about G3 and all the opportunities, I stayed in touch with her through LinkedIn. Then she participated in a campus career fair, and I interviewed and was fortunate enough to get a position as a Harvest 2021 intern. In addition Salvador Mariscal, an alum of Fresno State, has helped train me in the transportation management system, and taken extra time to teach me about the workings of the company. It is also a pleasure to be interning alongside other Bulldogs like Juju Nunez, Janell Johnson, and Tanner Cornelious."  

Q: What types of skills or experience have you gained from the internship that will help you along this career path?

Myers: "Microsoft is a very useful platform for a business. So far, I have learned simple way to use Excel, and Microsoft Teams. I have also learned that in order to work in logistics, there are many links, emails, phone calls, and calls to IT involved. Yet it all boils down to believing in your ability to figure things out, showing up, being a self starter, and using resources between your team to handle business. Also, attention to detail is more than words listed on a resume to your boss. It is really important to back that up with your actions. Things I have heard from coworkers include, 'no mistakes,' 'double check your work,' and 'think before you do.' Yet it is not pressure to be perfect, it is encouragement to do your best. This gets the job done correctly, and it keeps the company reputable."

Q: Why are you drawn to the agricultural profession and agricultural business department?

Myers: "I grew up around horses, and my sisters had cattle. I was outside for so much of my childhood. In high school I was heavily involved in the FFA. I competed in showing steers, sheep and goats, Natural Resources, Parliamentary Procedure, Livestock Judging, Creed Speaking, Impromptu Speaking, and Extemporaneous Speaking. These events allowed me to receive different parts of agriculture. I loved raising my own animals and knowing that I was part of something bigger than myself. In the speaking contests I had to research ag issues and offer strategies to combat them. Those challenges started my understanding about all that agriculturists face to provide goods to consumers."

Myers: "I believe the industry needs valuable people working within it if we are going to reach the goals of sustainability we desire. Also, my Mother, Tami Myers, has always encouraged the competitive and business side of me. I have learned so much from her from watching her real estate career. She works hard to ensure she is ethical, and has built an outstanding reputation for herself as successful, and kind for over 30 years in Shaver Lake. I wanted to be like her, but in my own field. All of these factors combined with Fresno State having a wonderful department of agriculture and being 30 minutes away from home was unbeatable. I chose an agricultural business bachelor's degree and leadership certificate because I believe they can foster many skills in me that will be transferable, and I like math. Simply, I am blessed to be a part of this school and the AGBS department. Go Dogs!"

Q: What are some of your favorite Fresno State classes so far and why?

Myers: "I enjoy all of my AGBS classes, and I would say my top three classes so far at Fresno State have been Professional Development (AGRI 130), Persuasion (COMM 7), and Microcomputers (AGBS 76)."

Myers: "The professional development class really helped me to identify areas I can grow professionally, learn how to use LinkedIn, build a resume, and it was inspiring to be in an environment with so many driven individuals. In COMM 7 I had a wonderful professor, Dr. Barba, who made the class enjoyable and it resparked my passion for speeches. I think this class is really helpful as both an ag and specifically an ag business major because you learn how marketing involves all methods of persuasion and there are ethics to discuss from any end. You also learn how to speak to a hostile audience which can be present in real-life agricultural negotiations. Also, the microcomputers is one to mention since I did not have many technological skills prior to entering college. Dr. Neil Tung has students create an end-of-the-year project based on actual agricultural data. This class is very valuable when it comes to applying hard skills, even at my internship for G3."

Q: Do you work or volunteer at any campus farm units?

Myers: "I have not volunteered at any farm units yet, however I love our campus farm. As an Ag ambassador I have had the privilege of giving a few farm tours with fellow ambassadors. If I were to work on the farm I could see myself in the beef or sheep units." 

Q: Are you a part of any student organizations at Fresno State?

Myers: "Yes. I have been in the Ag Business Club since I started at Fresno State, and I am serving my second year as an officer. Last year I was the Vice President. This year I have the opportunity to write newsletters, and update members as the Marketing and Communications Chair. I have also participated in Ag Ambassador events throughout my time at Fresno State where we mainly reach out to high school students about Jordan College and other Fresno State opportunities. I have also tried other organizations like a social sorority where I was the panhellenic delegate, and parliamentarian during my time. Fresno State has many great clubs, and being involved is a great way to build a network or meet peers with similar interests!"

Q: Have you participated in any other outreach activities/events that have benefitted the community?

Myers: "Yes, I came from a small mountain community where people help each other out. So service is a core value of mine. Since my high school Leos Club days, I have volunteered with Kases for Kids nonprofit here in the valley, which is an organization that helps supply foster children with a suitcase full of both comforting and necessary items (blankets, toiletries, etc.). It has even expanded to backpacks and school supplies. This helps kids gain a sense of individuality and support while they are going through some of the hardest times/transitions of their lives. It is a really special experience to help these children and partner with incredible people/organizations like Kaden Feretti (owner), Jeannie Sa (Leos advisor/Lion’s member), Fresno/Madera County CASA, FBI Victim Services, and other foster family agencies. Other than Kases for Kids I like serving at the Fresno Rescue Mission with Via Church whenever I get the chance."

Q: Explain any research-related opportunities at Fresno State you have helped with, your responsibilities, faculty you worked with, and why the research is important?

Myers: "My first research-related experience at Fresno State was competing in the National Grocers Association (NGA) marketing contest in the Spring of 2021. I am excited to also be competing with the same team that includes Riley Barney, Jolene Simas in Texas this fall for a similar competition. Dr. Serhat Asci, Dr. Jason Liang, and Dr. Patrick T Berends, have all worked with us to develop a mock marketing plan for a real grocery chain called Karn’s in Pennsylvania. We had to examine the effects of COVID on the supply chain, and develop strategies for Karn’s to succeed amongst its competitors. I learned about consumers' concern for food safety, bundle meal deals, online ordering, the effects of labeling, and more. Projects like these are eye-opening to me because I very well could be applying this knowledge in the industry after graduation. Also, research helps to better the methods, and meet the demands of current consumers better than ever before." 

Q: Have you traveled to any other conferences and made any presentations or been involved in other ways?

Myers: "I had travelled to conferences prior to college through the FFA like “Made for Excellence,” “Advanced Leadership Academy,” California State FFA Conventions, and National FFA Conventions to name a few. Some awards I have received at these conferences include state titles in Parliamentary Procedure, and Natural Resources, the Jamie Lynn Petty Scholarship, and my American FFA Degree. I have also participated in Envision’s conference on Business Innovation where a team of us from across the USA created a start-up company in 8 days and presented it Shark Tank-style. In Las Vegas I’ve also attended an international Lions Club convention where we discussed global issues, and a Cutco conference where I was awarded for my sales in the company. These are all prior to 2019.

Myers: "In the past two years at Fresno State I have attended two of the California State Ag Ambassador conferences for 2020 and 2021 as well as helped at the CAL conference for community college students in Ag. At the 2020 Ag Ambassador Conference I heard from Yvonne Sams, Senior Director of Ag logistics at G3 about her story in ag and some of the challenges in ag hauling. It is great to be interning with the same company today." 

Q: What was your background in agriculture before you started at Fresno State?

Myers: "While my family didn’t exactly have a farm growing up I was still around agricultural life but more from the outdoor recreation and natural resources side of things. Yet my father, Brad Myers, had previous farming experience. Around the time he attended Fresno State for agricultural business he farmed cotton, and sugar beets. During my childhood, my brother, sisters and I all worked for our father guiding trail rides and talking about the forest. My father had to make decisions in accordance with the Forest Service, and other organizations that were challenging. I learned from him about forest management, hard work, and appreciating all that we get from nature. This only propelled my respect for farmers when I joined FFA. They balance the needs of the environment, and the consumer just like my father had to for our family business.Two Fresno State alumnas are my sisters Molly, and Jackie. Molly Oliver works at D & F packstation, and my sister Jackie Roduner works for the Bureau of Land Management in Buffalo, Wyoming. My brother, Mitchell Myers, also packs mules, and builds fences. While we didn’t grow up farmers, we will all forever be a part of agricultural life."

Q: Are there any other interesting personal/family/other notes about yourself that you would like to include?

Myers: "I love to listen to podcasts, and read ag news when I have time. A few of my favorite podcasts are Talk Ag To Me, The Brendon Show, and Becoming Something. For ag newsletters I like to read ones from Magnetic Ag, Fresno County Farm Bureau, Ag Alert, and the USDA." 

Q: What are the potential next steps in your career path, and is there a specific career you're aiming for?

Myers: "Candidly, I believe it is valuable for me to gain hands-on experiences in order to determine where I will land. Internships are a great way to do this. To determine this, I like to list out the things that I know. Then, I try to make the best moves according to my interests and the opportunities I can find at that time. Many of us have faced challenges throughout the past year with COVID, and I am no different. Yet, I was able to find a great opportunity while focusing more on professional development then I had ever made time for prior to the pandemic."

Myers: "I know that I want to work in the ag industry. I love being a part of what supplies the world. I love serving an industry that is progressive in supplying the consumer through the adversity of regulations, environmental pressures, and constantly changing demands. I am interested in agricultural law, education and business. Also, thanks to G3 I have a newfound interest in logistics! Overall, I am aiming to serve the ag industry for many years to come."