Ramandeep Brar
Ramandeep Brar
Ramandeep Brar
Ramandeep Brar
Ramandeep Brar
Ramandeep Brar
Ramandeep Brar

Plant Science Student Research Spotlight: Raman Brar

Looking forward to graduating this spring, Fresno State plant science graduate student Raman Brar is doing important research with corn and sorghum with our faculty & Center for Irrigation staff  

The Punjab, India native has also interned as a lab assistant with the University of California Agricultural Natural Resources (UCANR) and has been active with the Plant Science Club and Alpha Zeta campus student organizations, and American Society of Agronomy and California Seed Association.

Read more how Fresno State has helped shape her career path and create new opportunities to help Central Valley agriculture in this interview.

Q: Why did you choose to attend Fresno State?

Brar: "I was attracted to its academic reputation, diverse student population, and readily available student resources. It was also an opportunity to work in a motivated, educational environment that is closely tied to the agricultural community, and work with friendly and humble people. I've also developed a strong network of supportive friends who have helped to shape my behavior and beliefs and have encouraged me to work harder."

Q: Describe your graduate program research project.

Brar: "I am evaluating the yield and quality performance of sorghum grown with different nitrogen rates compared to drip irrigation, deficit drip irrigation and flood-irrigated corn. I picked this topic to help find an economical and alternative forage crop to potentially save California irrigation water usage, especially in droughts."

Q: Which plant science faculty member are you working with?

Brar: "I’m working with Dr. Florence Cassel Sharma. She is providing me guidelines in selection and research planning to successfully complete within the expected time frame. She has helped me understand relevant theories, methodology and technical skills necessary for this type of research. Her feedback and suggestions have also helped me address any academic needs and concerns and achieve my future goals."

Q: What are some of the most important things that you've learned from this research?

Brar: "I have improved my skills related to critical thinking, communication, technology, laboratory and field work, as well as time management and my ability to work in a team and as an individual."

Q: Have you received any Jordan College scholarships?

Brar: "I have been fortunate to receive several Ag One campus scholarships, including the AGG McInturf and Ross Borba Sr. Family scholarships, as well as the Jordan College Dean's Scholarship."

Q: Have you worked at any campus farm units, and what types of responsibilities have you had?

Brar: "I have enjoyed working with irrigation systems on the campus research farm, and have been involved with installation, management, scheduling, field data collection and soil/tissue/water sampling. I've also worked with a lysimeter to calculate kc value."

Q: What was your agricultural background before you started at Fresno State? 

Brar: "Agriculture has been a constant part of my life because I was brought up in a farming family. My father and grandfather grow rice, wheat and maize-sorghum as a fodder crop for animals."

Q: After graduation, what's your potential next career step, and how do you want to use your degree?

Brar: "I want to conduct research and extension-related activities using my masters research experience, and I look forward to applying it in new directions."