Skip to main content Skip to main navigation Skip to footer content

The Jordan College of Agricultural Sciences and Technology

Michelle Yoshida, Lennette Gutierrez, Alicia Everett, Dr. Scott Williamson

Yoshida creates pre-veterinary scholarships

(October 29, 2015) – The Ag One Foundation announced the creation of a pair Jordan College of Agricultural Sciences and Technology scholarships by recent Fresno State alumna Michelle Yoshida.

Yoshida will fund two $500 scholarships for pre-veterinary or animal science students in honor of professor Dr. Scott Williamson who heads the campus swine unit.

A 2009 animal science graduate and cum laude graduate, Yoshida was a Smittcamp Family Honors College scholar, Jordan College Ag Ambassador and Alpha Zeta member. 

“I wanted to donate in honor of my favorite professor,” Yoshida said. “I learned so much from Dr. Williamson because he is an amazing teacher. I saw how much he cared about students while I was at school. I gained even more respect for Doc when I met people that he had also influenced, not only from the Central Valley, but across the country as well. It’s important to do something to honor our pre-vet and animal programs as a sign of respect and gratitude.”

The Visalia native Yoshida is a veterinarian at several area clinics, including the Valley Animal Center in Fresno where she also mentors Fresno State students. Her career path has included veterinary school in Dublin, Ireland, an internship in Milwaukee and prior position in Thousand Oaks.

The first scholarships were awarded this fall to Alicia Everett and Lennette Gutierrez who are Fresno State seniors and pre-veterinary students in the animal sciences and agricultural education department.

Gutierrez, a Salinas native, is an Alpha Zeta and Sigma Alpha member and volunteer at the campus food bank and Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals. A Monterey High School graduate and Hartnell Junior College transfer, she showed sheep, hogs and rabbits in her 10-year 4H career.

Everett, a senior from Modesto and graduate of Modesto High School, hopes to work in wildlife rehabilitation after she goes to veterinary school. She has additional experience as a Valley Animal Center volunteer and Pre-Veterinary Club member and worked with cattle, sheep and swine at Modesto Junior College.

The Jordan College’s pre-veterinary degree offers Fresno State students a diverse education with its on-campus beef, dairy, horse, poultry, sheep and swine units. The enterprises, campus veterinary and physiology laboratories are maintained by faculty and students to provide a unique, hands-on learning experience.

Established in 1979, Ag One has raised more than $17 million to benefit, promote and support the college and its programs. In that span, more than 3,350 students have received more than $2.4 million in scholarships and grants. In the 2015-2016 academic year, Ag One will provide nearly $500,000 to deserving students and programs.