The Jordan College of Agricultural Sciences and Technology
Red Wave Classic Junior Livestock Show set for Feb. 7-8
(February 4, 2015) – The 22nd annual Red Wave Classic Junior Livestock Show will be hosted by 80 Fresno State students Saturday and Sunday, Feb. 7-8 at the Big Fresno Fairgrounds Livestock Pavilion.
The event is the largest of the spring semester for students in the Animal Sciences and Agricultural Education Department at Fresno State. The event is sanctioned by the California Junior Livestock Association and features junior participants under the age of 21 primarily from California.
Admission is free to the event sponsored by Farmers Feed, and parking is available at the corner of Butler and Chance avenues. The Fresno State Meat Science Club will serve food each day.
The California Junior Livestock Association-sanctioned show kicks off Saturday with steer showmanship at 9 a.m. followed by lamb and goat showmanship. Sunday’s festivities begin at 9 a.m. with the heifer and hog show.
Red Wave Classic Junior Livestock Show Schedule
Saturday, February 7th
• 7-9 a.m. - Final official weigh-in of all steers, market heifers, lambs and meat goats.
• 9 a.m. - All steers, market heifers, lambs and meat goats must be in place.
• 9 a.m. - Market Beef showmanship in age order (Fitting is optional).
• 10 a.m. - Lamb and meat goat showmanship in age order followed by Fresno State lamb and goat futurities followed by jackpot lamb and meat goat classes (lambs and meat goats released after their respective classes and their pens cleaned).
• 12 noon - Fresno State Steer Futurity.
• 1 p.m. - Market Beef Show. Prospect followed by progress steers and market heifers in class order (steers and market heifers released after their respective classes and after stalls cleaned). The California Club Calf Association will select a Champion and Reserve Champion Steer immediately after the selection of the Supreme Champion Steer.
• 6 p.m. - Barns available for hog exhibitors.
• 6-8 p.m. - First official weigh-in of hogs and final and only weigh-in of grade heifers.
• 8 p.m. - All breeding heifers in place. Registration papers must be checked in at the show office and grade heifers must be weighed.
Sunday, February 8th
• 7-9 a.m. - Final official hog weigh-in.
• 9 a.m. - All hogs in place.
• 9 a.m. - Breeding heifer showmanship (fitting is optional) in age order followed by heifer breed shows in class order (heifers released after their respective breed shows and after their stalls have been cleaned).
• 10 a.m. - Hog showmanship in age order followed by jackpot hog classes (hogs released after their respective classes and after their pens have been cleaned)..