Ag One Foundation
On Tuesday, May 3rd, members of the Farm Credit system convened on the Fresno State campus to meet some of the Jordan College students participating in the Farm Credit Multicultural Scholars program, which provides support to students who, in return, work as mentors with ethnically-diverse high school students in rural Valley communities. Two of the students in attendance were Courtney Carlton, Agriculture Education major and Kellen Habib, Animal Science major. The other students in the program include Desirae Perez, Agricultural Business; Yesenia Ramirez, Agriculture Education and Toushulong Vang, Agriculture Education. This group of students was selected to participate in the program based on their academic standing, career objectives, ethnic backgrounds and strong interest in promoting higher education opportunities in agriculture. More about the program
Last week was filled with many exciting events leading up to the Jordan Agricultural Research Center Ribbon Cutting Ceremony!
On Tuesday, May 10th, we celebrated with two groups of donors who have given support to specific areas of the Jordan Agricultural Research Center: Earl and Beverly Knobloch who gave in support of the robotics laboratory and OLAM who gave in support of the sensory evaluation laboratory.
On Wednesday, May 11th, family and friends of the late Dr. Harry B. Moordigian, Jr. joined his Fresno State family at the Viticulture and Enology Research Center lawn to celebrate his life and many contributions to Fresno State including the microbiology laboratory in the Jordan Agricultural Research Center.
On Thursday, May 12th, family and friends of the late Mrs. Dee Jordan gathered in the Jordan Agricultural Research Center to celebrate her life and transformational gift to the Jordan College. Many of her loved ones shared the story of the Jordan gift which was responsible for the creation of the research center. The Jordan family’s story ties back to the Jordan Ranch and a painting of the ranch is prominently displayed at the entrance of the center, which was unveiled at Dee’s celebration.
On Friday, May 13th, Fresno State President Joseph Castro, Jordan College Dean Sandra Witte, Chris Henson, daughter of Dee Jordan, and stakeholders of the Jordan Agricultural Research Center ceremonially cut the ribbon signifying the grand opening of the research center, the first-of-its-kind in the California State University system.
During the ribbon cutting ceremony, Fresno State announced two additional gifts to the Jordan Agricultural Research Center: The Wonderful Company established a $500,000 endowment to enhance the conference room of the center and Bayer established a $200,000 endowment to support entomology research in the center.
The week of celebration ended with the Pinnacle Society dinner on Friday evening which honored Jordan College supporters Dr. Harry B. Moordigian, Jr. and Rodger B. Jensen. The Pinnacle Society is devoted to honoring individuals whose years of thoughtful and generous contributions have made a distinct difference in education at Fresno State. Pinnacle Founders are the philanthropic pioneers who have given $100,000 or more during their lifetimes to enhance academics, assist students, build facilities and advance other Fresno State programs. The Paramount level honors those who have given $1 million or more. Dr. Harry B. Moordigian, Jr. was inducted at the Founders level posthumously; the honor was accepted by his daughter Gina Dean. Rodger B. Jensen was inducted at the Paramount level.
Planting seeds of success…
- The Fresno State Meat Science Club, Advanced Meat Technology class and Meat Judging Team hosted the 5th Annual Meat Industry Appreciation Dinner on May 13th in conjunction with the annual Product Development Food Showcase.
- May 21st marks the 105th Fresno State commencement ceremony; the Jordan College will be graduating 487 students at the college convocation the afternoon of May 20th.
- Kelli Williamson has been named the 2016 Jordan College Undergraduate Deans’ medalist and Andrew Beebe has been named the 2016 Jordan College Graduate Deans’ medalist. Congrats Kelli and Andrew!
- On Thursday, May 12th, the Jordan College hosted the 5th annual Recognition and Appreciation reception where several faculty and staff members were honored: Ms. Christina Fitz Gibbon, Department of Industrial Technology, received the Distinguished Service Award; Dr. John Henson, Department of Animal Sciences and Agricultural Education, was honored with the FFA Field Day Dedication Award; Dr. Nitaigour Mahalik, Department of Industrial Technology, was honored with the Outstanding Research and Scholarly Activity Award; Dr. Gayle O'Bannon, Department of Animal Sciences and Agricultural Education, was honored with the Nicolas Salgo-Noren Excellence in Teaching Award; and Dr. Florence Cassel Sharma was a recipient of the Provost's Award for Promising New Faculty.
- The Jordan College released a “year in review” report
- Fresno State corn season is approaching! Keep an ear out for the first batch, expected to be released on Friday May 27th at the Gibson Farm Market.
- May 20, 2016 – Jordan College Convocation, Save Mart Center
- June 15, 2016 – North Bay Alumni & Friends Dinner, Santa Rosa
- June 20, 2016 – Jordan College Alumni & Friends Reception, San Luis Obispo
- June 20 - 24, 2016 - Angra do Heroismo, Terceira, Azores - President and Mrs. Mary Castro, Dean Dr. Sandra Witte, Sr. Director of Development/Ag One Executive Director Alcidia Freitas Gomes and faculty member John Cordeiro will travel to Angra, Terceira to sign an agreement with the University of the Azores. The agreement will put in place an exchange program for students majoring in agriculture. For more information, visit the Ag One website or contact Ag One at 559-278-4266.
Become an Ag One Member!
If you’re not already a member, please consider joining Ag One and receive 10% off selected items like wine and olive oil at the Rue and Gwen Gibson Farm Market!
For more information: