Ag One Foundation
March 2018 E-News
Building Named for ‘Father’ of Fresno State Viticulture and Enology
The California State University Trustees approved the naming of the Vincent E. Petrucci
Viticulture Building at Fresno State, in honor of the late and esteemed professor
emeritus of viticulture. The action item was approved by the Committee on Institutional
Advancement. Among his many accomplishments during his 46-year career, Dr. Petrucci
led successful fundraising efforts to support students, faculty and capital projects.
Most notably, he raised more than $1.5 million for the viticulture building, which
houses state-of-the-art teaching and research laboratories, a discipline-specific
library to serve students and industry and the Viticulture and Enology Research Center.
Dr. Petrucci taught at Fresno State from 1948 to 1993 and helped establish the University’s
renowned viticulture and enology program. He was conferred an honorary doctorate of
science by the California State University in 1994 before passing away in 2016.
A naming ceremony of the Vincent E. Petrucci Viticulture Building will be held on Friday, April 20 . For more information or to RSVP for the celebration, click the link below Read More
Stanislaus County Alumni and Friends Dinner Celebrates Nick W. Blom Family
Thank you to the sponsors and guests who supported the Stanislaus County Alumni and Friends dinner on March 8, making it a night to remember! We welcome this year's honorees, the Nick W. Blom Family, into the Stanislaus County Hall of Fame. The late Mr. Nick W. Blom immigrated to the U.S. in 1963 from the Netherlands. He was married to his wife, Els, for 51 years and they raised their four children, Ingrid (Mello), Pete, Nick and Marika (Morrison), in Modesto. Nick was publicly known as a tree and vine farmer, turned community leader and local politician. He served 5 terms as a Stanislaus County Supervisor and during his era the Air Quality Commission was created, a controversial trash/energy converter was built and prayer was brought to Supervisor meetings when he became Chairman. His hard work and dedication to community inspired his family to carry on his tradition. Congratulations again and many thanks to the Blom Family!
Common Threads Awards Honor Five Valley Women
On March 21, Ag One along with the Jordan College and the California Agricultural Leadership Foundation (CALF) hosted the 22nd annual Common Threads Awards Luncheon at the Clovis Veterans Memorial Hall. Honored by more than 300 guests in attendance were this year’s award recipients: Angie Avila, Lemoore; Josephine Giampaoli, Le Grand; Jan Johnson, Madera; Jessie Maggini, Riverdale; Teri Penfold, Kingsburg. The luncheon celebrates the time, talent and treasure of the Common Threads Awards honorees who have devoted their lives to agriculture and their communities.
Register Today for the 47th Annual Turf Day Golf Classic on May 14 !
Join us for a swinging good time at this year’s Turf Day Golf Classic! Player registration includes lunch at the turn, social hour and dinner following play plus a fabulous tee prize. Check-in at 10 a.m. , shotgun start at 11 a.m. $160 per player through May 4 , $175 starting May 5 . The tournament is limited to the first 144 players and proceeds will benefit deserving students and programs in the Jordan College. For more information and to view the list of current sponsors, please visit the Ag One Website.
Portuguese Youth Day and Strategic Planning at Fresno State
On March 15, nearly 300 students from Tulare, Hilmar and Turlock High Schools visited Fresno State for a campus tour and to learn about campus life. First Lady Mrs. Mary Castro welcomed the group, followed by a student panel discussion with Portuguese American Fresno State students who talked about how to be successful in college. After the campus tour, the group had lunch at O’Neill Park which included Portuguese Cultural Dance Presentations. That evening, Dr. Joseph Castro and Mrs. Mary Castro hosted key representatives from the California Portuguese-American Community at the University House. At this dinner, Mary received a resolution from the Luso American Education Foundation to recognize her support of students and the Portuguese community. On March 16, the first day of the Luso American Education Conference was held on campus with the theme "Portuguese Heritage In California: Building The Bridge To The Future". The next day the conference continued in Tulare.
Sinclair Systems International Provides Labeling Machine
Many thanks to Sinclair Systems International for enhancing the Bee Sweet Citrus lab on campus with a labeling machine. Eight individuals from Sinclair recently visited a class in the department of industrial technology which is focused on fresh produce processing and uses the citrus packing line during lab. This additional machine in the lab is another opportunity to strengthen the academic programs in the Jordan College and offer more experiences to our students. Join us in thanking Sinclair Systems International for their support!
Penn Cummings/T.G. Schmeiser Scholarship Recipient Visit
On March 12, Andrew Cummings and his nephew Cory Cummings ('14) with T.G. Schmeiser Co., Inc. met with Allison Faure, ag business major and Marie Simon, pre-vet major, the students who received this year’s Penn Cummings/T.G. Schmeiser scholarship. The Penn Cummings/T.G. Schmeiser scholarship covers full tuition and fees, and is awarded to undergraduate or grad students with leadership and/or community involvement, majoring in Ag Business, Animal Science, Ag Education, Enology, Food Science and Nutrition, Industrial Technology or Plant Science. Many thanks to the Cummings family for their continued support of our students!
Planting the Seeds of Success...
- Congratulations to Ag One Board Member Stanley Kjar, Jr. who was recently awarded the Gus Bonner Peer Award by Pearson Realty!
- They kissed a pig and became Fresno State’s newest club – Block and Bridle. Read more →
- Congratulations to the Fresno State soil judging team who placed 2nd overall in the regional contest hosted by Butte College on March 3! The team is currently seeking support to assist them with their travel and competition expenses, please visit the Ag One website for more information. Read more →
- Dean Sandra Witte attended the California League of Food Processors meeting at Agrian Inc. to give an overview of the Jordan College and suggest possible internship possibilities for Fresno State students. Read more →
- Congrats to Fresno State Animal Sciences and Agricultural Education junior Tim Truax who won the American Farm Bureau Federation Young Farmers & Ranchers collegiate discussion meet. Read more →
- Dean Witte recently met the new California Farm Bureau Federation president Jamie Johansson and discussed ways that Fresno State faculty and staff are preparing our students to keep Central Valley agriculture up to speed with the nation's top producing region! Read more →
- Fresno State’s Department of Viticulture and Enology appreciates having Hal Huffsmith on campus as its industry liaison. Besides providing direction to the faculty, staff and students, he also provides input on research and potential industry partners for programs, funding and internships. Read more →
- Plant Science senior Nancy Valdez and junior Georgina Reyes Solorio visited Washington D.C. recently to meet with elected officials and stress the importance of federal funding for food, ag and natural resources research. Their visits included meetings with Congressman Jim Costa, Congressman Jimmy Panetta and Congressman David Valadao, as well as staff members in the offices for Senator Dianne Feinstein, Senator Kamala Harris, Congressman John Garamendi and Congressman Devin Nunes. Read more →
- Join us in welcoming the new Jordan College academic counselor Nyxy Imes, who comes to us from the office of services for students with disabilities. She will be advising food science, plant science and viticulture and enology students. Read more →
- Three Bulldoggers take home buckles at annual college rodeo. Read more →
- And alumnus Jordan Ketscher Named Cinch Timed Event Champion at latest rodeo competition Read more →
- This month the Student Cupboard at Fresno State is benefitting from generous support during the March Match Up campaign. Thanks to Moss Adams LLP, every gift will be doubled up to $25,000! Read more →
May 14, 2018 Turf Day Golf Classic, Belmont Country Club
May 18, 2018 Jordan College Convocation
September 9, 2018 Ag Boosters BBQ, Borba Ranch
Become an Ag One member!
If you're not already a member, please consider jioning Ag One and recieve 10% off seleted items like wine and olive oil at the Rue and Gwen Gibson Farm Market! Join or renew your existing membership today! Join Now